Friday 18 January 2013

Adoring Musical Plays

I've always love musicals. Sound of Music as my favourite. I never get to watch any musical plays back in the Philippines, so when we transferred in London, I was awed by the many musicals that are regularly performing in different areas. 


The very first musical that I've seen was Shrek. It was a complimentary show from one of Mark's colleague, Ate Luchi. We were seated on the box, a very nice seat, may I add. I am familiar with the cartoon Shrek so I know the plot, but I enjoyed the play nonetheless. The actors and actresses were amazing in their own ways. The backdrops and props were equally great. Some says it would be more suited to a younger audience, but I beg to differ. No one is too young for a happily ever after. 
Shrek Musical

at Theatre Royale


The second musical play that I watched was Wicked. The title itself described how awesome the play was. More for an adult audience, Wicked did not fail to astonish everyone inside the theatre from start to finish. The storyline was not to be missed, the dialogue's (which are being sung of course) were relatable, the casts were without a doubt superb. It's somewhat a prelude to the Wizard of Oz, which was made brilliantly.  We were not seated on a very pleasant location, as compared to watching the Shrek, but still it was breathtaking. 

Wicked Musical

at the Apollo Victoria Theatre

The next play that we get to watch was a special one, because it was a birthday gift from my hubby, Mark. Les Miserables, one of the many musicals that I dreamed of watching. I was always intrigued by this one because one of the famous theatre sopranos, whom I adore, Ms Lea Salonga, a Filipina, had a part on the play. They actually performed once here on London for the25th Anniversary of Les Miserables, which I didn't get to watch. People said it was one great show, but the ticket prices were also rocket high. Anyhow, the experience we had watching the same play in a smaller theater was never less great. A seat on the Dress Circle, the one in between the Stalls and Upper Circle, was a nice choice. There were mostly mature people in the crowd. I'm a sucker for heart touching love stories, so this musical was an A+ for me. Tears never stopped falling down my cheeks. I wonder if the other viewers did the same. Needless to say, I wasn't ashamed. Just like the two musicals above, Les Miserables was a spectacular sight. 

Les Miserables Musical
at the Queen's Theatre

The recent musical, hopefully not the last, was the Privates on Parade. Another complimentary ticket from Ate Luchi. Hurrah! This shall be my very first musical play for 2013. We didn't have any idea what the play was about. So we just went to see the play and didn't expect anything. It turned out the play was hilariously entertaining. For adults only, that's for sure. We were surprised that it was a lovely play indeed. Not as extravagant as the three musicals above when it comes to costumes, props and music, but it was more than a fascinating way to begin the year. Not a dull moment from beginning to end, the casts were exceedingly comical and the plot was fascinating all the same. 

Privates on Parade

at Noel Coward Theatre

Watching a musical play, whatever the plot may be, gave me a two-hour escape to relish the fantasy that each writer gets in touch with when creating these masterpiece. I've always dreamt of being part of a play, singing and dancing my heart out, but I know that it'll remain as a dream. Witnessing such musical brings back that aspiration but now I'm more drawn to being part of the cheering crowd and savouring the mixed emotions brought by the story than performing on stage. 



No comments:

Post a Comment